Let’s cook some Vegetarian Tagine in 10 quick steps! It’s easy, it’s fun, it’s healthy.
Taught and eaten by real Moroccans.
What you need for 3 people:
-A big Tagine and a knife to cut the veggies
-2 or 3 Moroccan breads (you know, the round ones)
-1 round zucchini
-2 big tomatoes
-2 small zucchini’s, oblong shape
-1 big onion
-2 red peppers
Some powders and spices in teaspoon amount:
What to do:
- Peel the potatoes and carrots. Then cut all the veggies in rings, except for the peppers. Cut those in half, lengthwise. (Make sure to cut out the seeds! You don’t want to set your tongue on fire). Then place all vegetables one by one, in the tagine. Build a tent shape, with each layer of vegetables covering the layer underneath. Do this in the following order:
- Onion rings
- The round zucchini
- The oblong zucchini’s
- The slices of pepper on top! Place them in a cross shape, so every side of the tagine gets equally spicy.
- Drip some olive oil on top
- Sprinkle (with a teaspoon) all spices, thyme and salt on the veggies
- Add 1 or 2 small glasses of water (the size of a Moroccan tea glass) so the spices reach all vegetables. The amount of water depends on the size of the tagine. If you’re working with a big tagine: take 2 glasses. If it’s small: 1 will do. Subsequently, you gently squeeze the vegetables onto each other with your hands. At last place the tagine on a small-middle fire and cover the tagine with it’s lid. Let the tagine braze for half an hour, but check it once in a while! It may need a longer/shorter period of time. Veggies have to be cooked through, but be careful! The onions and carrots on the bottom have a tendency to get burned.
Serve with the round breads and eat with your hands, Moroccan style! Yes, this time you’re allowed.
PS. Need some music in style? Read our post on oriental music: https://priscillaqueenofthemedina.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/my-music-discoveries-in-morocco-for-dummies/